Saturday, March 15, 2014

St. Patrick's Day: Danny Boy

Another sad song of longing and death, but beautiful all the same.

It was used in a fantastic scene in Miller's Crossing by the Coen Brothers.
This isn't exactly as I remember it...
C             C7                        F      Fm
Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
C                       Am                D7  G
From glen to glen and down the mountain side
C                    Cmaj7               F    Fm
The summer’s gone and all the roses dying
C          Am           Dm     G      C
‘Tis you, ’tis you must go and I must bide

G            Am       C         F         C
But come ye back when summer’s in the meadow
G            Am   G  Am          F         D7   G
Or when the valley’s hushed and white with snow
            C        F              C Em Am Fm
And I’ll be here in sunshine or in shadow
C        Am            Dm      G        C
Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy I love you so

C               C7                   F    Fm
But if he come and all the roses dying
          C        Am             D7 G
And I am dead, as dead I well may be
C                Cmaj7                     F    Fm
You’ll come and find the place where I am lying
C              Am     F   G         C
And kneel and say an Ave there for me
G           Am           C        F      C
And I shall feel, though soft you tread above me
G           Am          F            D7 G
And then my grave will richer, sweeter be
              C         F                C Em Am Fm
For you will bend and tell me that you love me
C            Am            Dm      G        C
And I shall rest in peace until you come to me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact ukegnome

Just email me: ukegnome@gmail.com or DM me: @ukegnome. I'll get back to you as soon as gnomishly possible.