Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Far From Any Road (True Detective HBO Theme)

A great theme for a great show, thanks to T Bone Burnett's choices and of course the Handsome Family who wrote/perform it. Incidentally, it is about a cactus that only blooms for a few hours one night of the year. Creosote bushes are indeed poisonous. My Strum here is strum down fast, then down slow then up fast, then up down up fast. It is hard to write a strum! I think it sounds like Tick Burrr tock, tock tick tock. Where tick is down and tock is up. Make sense? Nope. That's why it is better to learn these things from someone directly or just keep playing around until you get something you like that fits.

I've done it in Cm, the original is Am, but I can't sing that low. Now thinking I should have done it in Dm...


I play Cm as 0333 and D# as 3331. with G# I play x343, it is the easiest way.

Cm              G
From the dusty mesa
Fm                    Cm
Her looming shadow grows
Cm              G
Hidden in the branches
Fm                 Cm
of the poison creosote

         D#
She twines her spines up slowly
    A#
Towards the boiling sun
     Fm
And when I touched her skin
      G#             Cm
My fingers ran with blood

 Cm              G
In the hushing dusk
          Fm              Cm
Under a swollen silver moon
    Cm           G
I came walking with the wind
    Fm                 Cm
To watch the cactus bloom

       D#
A strange hunger haunted me,
       A#
The looming shadows danced
    Fm
I fell down to the thorny brush
     G#              Cm
And felt a trembling hand

  Cm                   G
When the last light warms the rocks
          Fm         Cm
And the rattlesnakes unfold
  Cm               G
Mountain cats will come
    Fm             Cm
to drag away your bones

      D#
And rise with me forever
   A#
Across the silent sand
         Fm
And the stars will be your eyes
         G#                 Cm
And the wind will be my hands


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact ukegnome

Just email me: ukegnome@gmail.com or DM me: @ukegnome. I'll get back to you as soon as gnomishly possible.