Saturday, March 15, 2014

St Patrick's Day: Carrickfergus

Carrickfergus, like many Irish songs, has English words overlaid on an older Gaelic song. In this case, it's likely a few hundred years old, but the modern version only dates form the 19th century and the Industrial revolution. Songs have a long life, like trees.

It is interesting that the original Irish song was a baudy happy one about wanting to shag a noblewoman, but the modern English one is one of sad longing, nostalgia and alcoholism.

I'd sing it myself but I've a cold, so here's my favourite version:


D      Em  A          D      Bm
I wish I was  in Carrickfergus,
         Em       A        D    Dsus4
only for nights, nights in Ballygran
             Em  A            D     Bm
I would swim over the deepest ocean,
         Em    A          D   Dsus4
the deepest ocean, for my love to find

                D   Bm                   A                
But the sea is wide, and I cannot swim over
                Bm  D             A
And neither have I the wings to fly
             Em  A            D     Bm
I wish I could find me a handy boatman
         Em    A       D   Dsus4
To ferry me over, to my love and die.

 D      Em    A                        D      Bm
My childhood days, bring back sad reflections
         Em       A           D    Dsus4
of happy times, spent so long ago
             Em  A            D     Bm
my boyhood friends, and my own relations
         Em    A                  D   Dsus4
have all passed on now, like the melting snow

        D      Bm                     A                
but I'll spend my days, in endless roaming
              Bm   D            A
soft is the grass, my bed is free
               Em  A              D  
oh to be back now, in Carrickfergus
               Em      A              D
on that long road down, to the salty sea


    D     Em   A               D      Bm
and in Kilkenny, there it is reported,
                     Em     A                D   Dsus4
there are marble stones there, as black as any  ink
              Em      A           D        Bm
With gold and silver, I would support her,
                 Em   A                  D     G D
But I'll sing no more now, 'till I get a drink.


        D       Bm           G      A                
For I'm drunk today, and I'm seldom sober,
           Bm D       G       A
A handsome rover from town to town
            Em       A            D        Dsus4
Ah, but I'm sick now, my days are numbered,
             Em    A       G      D
Come all you young men and lay me down.
             Em    A       G      D
Come all you young men and lay me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact ukegnome

Just email me: ukegnome@gmail.com or DM me: @ukegnome. I'll get back to you as soon as gnomishly possible.