Saturday, February 1, 2014

My Ukulele - For gigs, busking and youtube

Well, I should say one of my ukuleles, I've collected a few and like most players I have Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome (UAS). Ken Middleton from Ohana and Colin Oldham from DRC both contributed to it. The body is an Ohana Vita-Uke which sound and look great. Inside that is a resonator cone. For a while Ohana and DRC collaborated on creating these ukes, they don't any more, there are likely only a few in the world, maybe 12 last I heard. So I feel very lucky to have it. It cost more than a new Martin but less than a good vintage one, that's all I'll say about that.

The intonation is perfect. That means that open chords sound in tune while bar chords up the fretboard also sound in tune. It also stays in tune. I very rarely have to change the tuning, maybe only if I have played for a few hours constantly. If you play any stringed instrument you know what a big deal that is. As you can hear, it is bright and loud, but still has more sustain than a banjolele. But it lacks the sweetness of a standard wood uke. Still, I like the percussive sound of strumming with the strings muted.

This is a good uke for busking as it is loud, but not overpowering when you sing without a mic. The fact that it is visually unusual gets it attention.

The video explains a few other additions I've made :-) The sound is a bit low because I forgot to position the mic. The bell bracelet I got in a wee toy shop in Leiden called Bengels. I got a lot of awesome wee kids instruments there, which I collect. The Kazoo is from House of Marbles the wolf whistle I got on Amazon and the bell in my local Tiger shop. Oh, I get the LED lights there too.

The tuner is a Snark. No idea where the coat hanger came from...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact ukegnome

Just email me: ukegnome@gmail.com or DM me: @ukegnome. I'll get back to you as soon as gnomishly possible.